Coosa County was established in 1832, formed from parts of Montgomery and Shelby counties. Coosa County is conveniently located between Montgomery and Birmingham. There are three municipalities in the county: Rockford, Goodwater, and Kellyton. The county has a total of 666 square miles and, as of the 2010 census, the population was 11,539.
Points of interest include historical sites and scenic outdoor locations. Memorials are sprinkled around the county for everything from war veterans to beloved town dogs. Churches from the late 1800s, and cemeteries of the founding families provide residents and visitors with areas for reflection.
Outdoor recreation in one of Coosa County's greatest assets. A series of dams created by Alabama Power Company provide opportunities for water recreation at Lay Lake, Lake Mitchell, and Lake Martin. The county is home to three birding locations on the Piedmont Plateau Birding Trail. The Alabama Scenic River Trail runs through Coosa County waters, under historical bridges and alongside diverse wildlife. Coosa is quickly becoming a magnet for adventurous hikers who want to take advantage of our growing trail system and historical Flagg Mountain.
Whether you are drawn by the natural beauty, outdoor adventures or local festivals, you are bound to be refreshed by the splendor and kindness of Coosa County.
Coosa County has unlimited opportunities for outdoor adventure. With the Coosa River forming its western border, the Tallapoosa/Lake Martin area on the east, and Hatchet Creek running through the center, it's easy to see why Coosa County is often called the land between the lakes.
Join our Congressman, Gary Palmer, on a quick tour of Coosa County!
The Town of Kellyton was reincorporated as a municipality in Coosa County, and as of the 2010 census had a population of 217.
Hatchet Creek flows from the northwest corner of the county down to where it enters the Coosa River at Mitchell Lake. The creek offers relaxation with canoeing, kayaking, and fishing, as well as the opportunity to see beautiful Cahaba lilies. The creek has been designated as a spur trail for the Alabama Scenic River Trail. Canoers and kayakers from all over the country come in May to participate in the annual Hatchet Creek Festival.
The old rock jail in Rockford is the oldest rock jail in the state of Alabama. It now serves as a museum and is under the care of the Historical Society. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it was built in 1825.
The Goodwater Depot was built in 1887 by the Central of Georgia Railroad Company. It had the only coal chute between Columbus, Ga., and Birmingham, so it was necessary for every train to stop at the Goodwater Depot. After the railroad companies progressed to diesel engines and trucking became more popular, only passenger trains stopped at the Depot, and those eventually ceased, as well. In 1984, the Central of Georgia Railroad Company gave the Depot building to the City of Goodwater, and the building was moved to its current location on Alabama Highway 9 North of Goodwater.
The railroad came to Coosa County in 1874, thanks to the Savannah & Memphis Railroad Company building a line from Opelika to Goodwater, with the railroad going through Kellyton. The Goodwater Railroad Depot followed suit, being constructed in 1875.
In 1990, the Rockford Sewer Board installed these rather uncommon sewer covers throughout the town limits. The scenic scene depicted on them showcases the town's rural environment and adds to the community's charm.
Coosa County is proud to have 3 birding sites along the Piedmont Plateau Birding Trail. Chapmans Creek is a quiet, remote public use area on scenic Lake Martin. Double Bridges on Hatchet Creek offers outstanding birding opportunities. Flagg Mountain is the most recently added location and provides an excellent location for raptor watching, particularly during spring and fall.
At 1,152 feet, Flagg Mountain is one of the southernmost mountains along the eastern seaboard and the symbolic southern terminus of the Appalachian Mountain Trail. An historic 52-foot tower and cabins were built in the 1930's. The tower and several cabins still stand today due to the efforts of a determined group of local volunteers. The gate is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to sunset, and there is a gathering on the first Friday of every month at 5:30 p.m.
Hikers are quickly learning about the hundreds of miles of hiking trails that crisscross through the scenic countryside. More trails are being developed, like the Pinhoti National Recreational Trail, to connect with adventurous east coast Appalachian Trail. Through-hikers can now enjoy an overnight stay in rustic cabins on Flagg Mountain, constructed in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps.
Photo courtesy of Callie Thornton.